Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mark's Journey To Planet Jen

My husband and I live on two different planets most of the time. I found out last night that he was trying to make a journey to my planet, and I'm still smiling about it.

He came back from the gym after 10 p.m. last night, after he had shoveled our ugly driveway clear of snow, no less.

"You have really been putting some effort into your fitness lately," I noticed.

"Yea, I'm down a few pounds since the new year began," he confided.

"That's great! Is there anything I can do to be supportive of you in your effort?" I asked.

He didn't really answer me as he headed into the bathroom to shower. But then he stuck his head out and told me that he bought some weights and a workout DVD to keep at his overnight job. He sleeps some nights at a home for developmentally disabled men and has some down time after they are in bed to do whatever he wants and needs to do before he retires for the night.

The first time he put in the DVD, he sat on the couch and watched it, to see what he may be getting into; to see if it was something he felt he could do.

This illustrates the fact that there are two kinds of people: those who watch fitness videos the first time through, and those who do them. My husband is the guy who would assess the risk, calculate the effects, and make a plan. I am the girl who just grabs the weights and flounders through.

It drives me crazy that we are so different. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to mercilessly beat my husband with a Styrofoam noodle because he won't throw caution to the wind and just LIVE. And I don't even want to admit the number of times I've had to be grateful he holds back and then patiently throws me a life preserver to save me from myself.

Upon deeming the workout an accomplish-able task, he decided to give it a try one of the following nights when he was at work. On the second night of doing the DVD, he said he didn't get too far into it before his left shoulder, which gives him pain on occasion, exclaimed, "Screw this!" and Mark had to cease his attempt to do the workout...at least temporarily.

His animated re-telling was pretty cute, and I sympathized, "Aw, that's too bad your shoulder gave you such a hard time."

Mark hesitated before adding, "Yea. I wasn't going to tell you about [the workouts]. It was going to be a surprise."

And that was it. How could I not fall head over heels in love with my husband all over again in that moment? He was trying to secretly become more fit until one evening, someday, I would snuggle up to him and suddenly realize that he was holding me in one hot pair of muscular arms.

As for now, I'm loving him where he's at, for who he is and for who he is working to become. Oh, okay. I admit that I hope he throws in that DVD and picks up the weights again sometime soon, because I do have a thing for a good set of pipes. (-:

1 comment: