Wednesday, August 5, 2009

MOM!

The following is a true story. Neither the names nor the location have been changed to protect the nuts involved...

After an exasperating few hours of trying to bake and clean with two screaming boys wrapped around my knees, I did what any good mother short of finances to commit herself to the local psych ward would do: I sat my boys down at the kitchen table each with a glass of milk and a pile of graham crackers and let them have at it. I was desperate for a few moments of relative silence and the physical liberation to move freely and rapidly about my kitchen. Graham crackers for supper was my ticket to a moment of sanity...or so I thought.

While throwing a cake in the oven with my left hand and washing dirty dishes with my right, I was just beginning to feel the throbbing in my head subside.

"Mom! MOM!! Mommmmmmmmmmm! M-O-M!!! Mom! Mom! Mom! mom."

In my most loving mom voice I snarled, "WHAT! What do you want now, Timothy?!"

There was a pause before he answered, "I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to James."

Incredulously, I stared at him, our eyes locked for a moment before he casually returned to munching his graham crackers. I watched him a moment longer, but he just glanced quickly at me out of the corner of his eye, which almost made me laugh.

If a person wants to know what it feels like to experience the world's craziest amusement park ride, spend a day with a pre-schooler. Mine has the, um, we'll call it passion, stubbornness, wit, charm, and persistence to make 2 minutes feel like a wild roller coaster. This just proves that God knew what he was doing when he gave me Timothy and his siblings. The roller coaster is my favorite ride in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment