Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Tale of Two Travelers

Monday, March 31, 2014 a trip that was promised since my sister-cousin married her love, and booked since Black Friday of 2013, finally became a reality.  Christian and I left town rather uneventfully at 7:45 a.m. for the airport in Minneapolis with the end goal of laying our heads on pillows at the end of the day in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.

Sweet baby Eliana Grace was born to Megan, my cousin who is as precious to me as a sister, and her amazing husband, Armando, on the first of February.  My arms have ached to hold her since that day.  It was her announced arrival, and Christian's scheduled spring break, that directed the timing of this trip to spend time with family and to have the honor of coming alongside Megan and Mando for a few days in God's work through their mission, Panes y Pececillos.

The trip to the airport was blessed with safety and ease.  We left our shuttle and were through security within 10 minutes.  That doesn't mean there wasn't a little snafu.  Christian's luggage was searched due to a suspicious container.  After I completed my processing through security, I approached the search scene to see the security agent holding up my 4 oz container of contact solution and Christian nervously yet forcibly pointing his finger at me and emphatically stating, "That's hers.  It belongs to her.  She made me put it in my bag!"  Thankfully I got to keep the contact solution, but I realized I will have to watch my own back on this journey.

We left dreary Minnesota and arrived four hours later in sunny San Diego.  Megan and Eliana picked us up at the airport and after a joy-filled reunion, well, joy-filled for all of us except for Eliana, who despises her car seat, we headed to the Torrey Pines glider port for sandwiches.  It was here that I para glided about 17 months ago, so I was excited for Christian to see how beautiful the place is.  The Polzins met us here.
 Christian, Megan, Eliana, Levi and Camille enjoy watching the para gliders over the Pacific Ocean.
 This para glider had his big dog along for the adventure.  We had never seen THAT before!

We then went to La Jolla beach.  This is where Megan and I started our "mommy brain" competition.  Megan forgot her keys, but Camille picked them up and took them to her car.  When the Polzins pulled up across the street from our SUV, Aaron held the keys out the window and said, "Forget something?"  I smiled and started across the street to grab them.  I nearly was hit by a car that was FLYING down the street.  Close call--and everybody worried about what would happen to us when we were across the border--HA!  I proved to everybody that I can have a near death experience no matter where I go. 

 This is Christian's first trip to California and his first time seeing the Pacific Ocean!

 Amy Kastler, I pushed everybody out of the way and took this ocean photo just for you!



Eliana with her Mama and her tias. 

 Eliana, how do you feel about your first trip to the beach?  Unimpressed?  Oh, sad baby!

Camille wants to be a part of Christian's first brush with the Pacific.

 Can you say, "CUTE" X 2?!

Mitt Romney has a house up there somewhere.  Not that I really care.

Levi and Camille begin to build a trench to keep out the dragon.

 I had to join them after taking a few pictures.  Digging in sand is therapeutic, especially when digging with such wonderful friends as these two!

This is a photo reenactment of Megan and her godchildren.  The original was taken over 5 years ago.

But now Megan has godson, Levi, too.  Here she is with all her godchildren!

Before we left La Jolla, Eliana had to eat and then got acquainted with her primo.

She reached out and touched his face.  It was precious.

We got food for the mission and headed back over the border. A quick stop at Costco gave Megan a winning point in the "mommy brain" contest.  We started heading into the store before Christian smirked and said, "So, are you just going to let the car run while we go in?  Shall I put up a sign that says, 'Steal me?'"  Snot. 

We went to Tacos Alicia for supper.  Monday is two for one night, which means they blast obnoxious Mexican pop music over a loud speaker.  Not to be outdone in the mommy brain contest.  I had another near miss with a pick up truck in an alleyway.  I was trying to snap the following photo.  It is blurry because the girls could see the impending danger.  I couldn't.  Christian pulled me out of the way, which redeemed him from throwing me under the truck at the airport earlier.
This is Pricila and America, by the way.

We are so blessed to be here with loved ones.  Tomorrow we get to help serve in Megan and Armando's neighborhood.  I cannot wait to share this adventure with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment