Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day Two: Memphis, TN



We made it to Memphis--proof that there IS a God!

My mom brought her GPS, which is better than mine, of course. Yesterday I had mine set and jammed in the console before she set hers on the dash. Every time her GPS spoke, there was a distant echo of the same basic information, about a half second behind. After a couple hours of this I finally said, "Mom, why does your GPS echo? Don't you find that confusing?! She looked at me like she didn't know whether to laugh or smack some sense into me and then pointed in the direction of my forgotten GPS, which was causing the echo. We laughed ourselves to tears.

That stupid GPS. My mom angles it in her direction while I'm driving to monitor my speed. Then she offers loving suggestions about how I should adjust my speed. Downwards. *sigh* Then she asks if I'd rather she sit in the back seat. I suggest the far back seat and we laugh. I liked life before GPS, when her aging eyes couldn't see my dashboard.

Our hotel is in a good location: we are staying along the currently mile-wide Mississippi. We went for a walk this chilly, sunny evening and are in the heart of downtown. There's this odd mix of people: locals, tourists, homeless, and wealthy. We'll "get our tourist on" in the morning when we start at the Peabody to see the ducks.

It's time for the kids to go to bed and Christian will be in charge. Mom and I are headed to B.B. King's for some blues and an adult beverage.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh :-)

    Don't know how long you'll be in Memphis, but if you are there on Sunday, please check out Amazing Grace Luth church. It is an amazing congregation. When we visited Memphis a few years ago we thought we'd see if Southernish Lutheran was different that Northern Lutheran. I have never been to a church quite like it. Hard to explain, but it is an amazing congregation.

    Hope you enjoyed your night out!

    ReplyDelete